15 February 2003
Dear Colleagues and Friends,
We have just returned home from an
large anti-war demonstration in Grenoble. Many hundreds of people left
Grenoble this morning by bus and train to join in demonstrations at the
capital, but thousands of families
unable to go to Paris blocked intersections in Downtown Grenoble, with carefully staged "die-ins".
Our own children joined other children --Muslems, Jews, Protestants, Catholics, Hindus, atheists, and animists-- all protesting the killing of children with whom they would have prefered to play.
"Children against War," "Parents
against War," "Labor against War," "Teachers against War," "Retired People
against War" --we seemed to be the majority downtown on this cold, but
sunny winter afternoon. The arguments, discussions, and poetry we heard
as we lay down like the dead at various intersections and in front
of a McDonald's Restaurant in the business district were certainly more
convincing and more cohernent that
anything we've heard lately from the Bush-Cheney-Rice--Rumsfeld-Powel Oil Mafia. . . !
Welcome back to sanity, and hope that it prevails.....
Meanwhile the Impeachment movement
in the U.S. is building. Please see below a copy Ramsey Clark's the legal
brief charging the Executive Branch of the U.S. Government with "crimes
against humanity" (and for more
information including access to casting a vote, please visit the web site: <http://www.VoteToImpeach.org/>.
Articles Of Impeachment Of President George W. Bush, Vice President Richard B. Cheney, Secretary Of Defense Donald H. Rumsfeld, And Attorney General John David Ashcroft
The President, Vice President
and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office
on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other High
Crimes and Misdemeanors. --Article II,
Section 4 of The Constitution of the United States of America Acts which require the impeachment of President George W. Bush, Vice President Richard B. Cheney, Secretary of Defense Donald H. Rumsfeld; and Attorney General John David Ashcroft include:
1) Ordering and directing a proclaimed "pre-emptive", or "first strike" war of aggression against Afghanistan causing thousands of deaths indiscriminately, a major proportion non combatants, leaving millions homeless and hungry and installing a government of their choice in Kabul.
2) Authorizing daily intrusions into the airspace of Iraq by U.S. military aircraft in violation of the sovereignty of Iraq and aerial attacks on facilities and persons, on the soil of Iraq, killing hundreds of people indiscriminately, initially falsely claiming self defense though over a period of eleven years not a single U.S. aircraft has been struck or damaged by gunfire from Iraq, but later admitting the targeting of defense installations in Iraq, as war preparations they ordered progressed.
3) Authorizing, ordering and condoning direct attacks on civilians, civilians facilities and locations where civilian casualties are unavoidable.
4) Threatening Iraq with proclaimed "pre-emptive", or "first strike" attack and a war of aggression by overwhelming force and military superiority including specific threats to use nuclear weapons while engaged in a massive military build-up in nations and waters surrounding Iraq.
5) Threatening the independence and sovereignty of Iraq by belligerently proclaiming an intention to change its government by force while preparing to assault Iraq in a war of aggression.
6) Authorizing, ordering and condoning
assassinations, summary executions, kidnappings, secret and other illegal
detentions of individuals, torture and physical and psychological coercion
of prisoners to obtain false statements concerning acts and intentions
of governments andindividuals and violating within the United States, and
by authorizing U.S. forces and agents elsewhere, the rights of individuals
under the First, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth and Eighth Amendments to the Constitution
of the United States, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, and the
International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights.
7) Authorizing, directing and condoning
bribery and coercion of governments and individuals to cause them to act
in violation of their duty and the law, including to maintain and tighten
enforcement of economic sanctions
against Iraq which continue to increase the death rate ofinfants, children and elderly persons; to attack and kill designated groups, or persons; to permit use of land, facilities, territorial waters, or air space for U.S. attacks on Iraq; to vote, abstain in a vote, or publicly proclaim support for a U.S. or U.N. attack on Iraq; to defect from
Iraq, or to falsely accuse it of weapons concealment to break down opposition to a U.S. war of aggression; and to reject ratification of the Treaty creating an International Criminal Court, or reject its jurisdiction over the United
8) Making, ordering and condoning false statements and propaganda about the conduct of foreign governments and individuals and acts by U.S. government personnel; manipulating the media and foreign governments with false information; concealing information vital to public discussion and informed judgment concerning acts, intentions and possession, or efforts to obtain weapons of mass destruction in order to falsely create a climate of fear and destroy opposition to U.S. wars of aggression and first strike attacks by the U.S.
9) Violations and subversions of
the Constitution of the United States of America in an attempt to commit
with impunity crimes against peace and humanity and war crimes in "pre
emptive" wars, first strike attacks and
threats of aggression against Afghanistan, Iraq and other nationsby assuming powers of an imperial executive who is not accountable to law and usurping powers of the Congress, the Judiciary and the people of the United States to prevent interferences with the unlawful executive exercise of military power and economic coercion against the international community.
10) Violations and subversions of
the Charter of the United Nations and international law in an attempt to
commit with impunity crimes against peace and humanity and war crimes in
wars and threats of aggression against
Afghanistan, Iraq and others and usurping powers of the United Nations and the peoples of its nations by bribery, coercion and other corrupt acts and by rejecting, violations and frustrating compliance with treaties in order
to destroy any means by which international law and institutions can prevent, affect, or adjudicate the exercise of U.S. military and economic power against the international community.
Former Attorney General of the United States of America
January 15, 2003